Search The Web

Today's Headlines

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Some People Have All The Luck!

A friend of mine who I haven't spoken to in some time called me out of the blue today. We chatted about various things, and caught up on all the happenings in our lives. My friend talked about various things, but his mind did not seem to be into the conversation fully. He seemed to be waiting for the right opening to say something.

I got impatient, and I finally couldn't stand it any more. I told him he was sounding awkward, and should just come out and tell me what was on his mind without waiting for some kind of special opening.

My friend has always been a big sports fan. He follows all kinds of sports and subscribes to the biggest sports packages that his cable provider offers. It turns out that recently he checked out some sites on sport betting, and was bitten by the sport-betting bug. He had always been considered the most knowledgeable about the rules, sports teams, players, coaches and other aspects of most sports in our circle of friends. He decided to take advantage of that expertise by placing some bets during the recent NCAA college basketball championship.

To cut a long story short, he did very well in his picks, and won several times what he bet on the games. He was obviously very pleased with himself, and was bursting to tell his friends. But, he is a nice guy who does not boast about himself much. So, he was finding it difficult to talk about his good luck without being prompted and prodded.

I told him he should be proud of himself for doing so well, and congratulated him heartily. I jokingly reminded him about my "expertise" in filling out tax forms, and told him I would be happy to help him with his taxes next year in exchange for a few tips about how to bet next year! Oh well, as I said, some people have all the luck!!

No comments:

Visitors Country Map

Free counters!

Content From TheFreeDictionary.com

In the News

Article of the Day

This Day in History

Today's Birthday

Quote of the Day

Word of the Day

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!

 

Hangman

Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...
 
spell the word:

Search The Web