Search The Web

Today's Headlines

Sunday, July 18, 2010

The Census Bureau Officially Let Me Go This Week

First I thought it would be July 1st, then things got a little unpredictable, and finally, I never even showed up for census work on July 1st because they canceled all shifts due to lack of work. Then, I went off on my vacation for a week, and came back only last Tuesday.

I wrote to my office supervisor on Wednesday, inquiring about my status. He wrote back the next day telling me that pretty much all the census work for the 2010 census had been completed. In spite of the delays, they had gotten the VDC process kicked off quickly, and the VDC EQ's had come back in quickly too. It only required a skeleton crew to review them and get them all set to enter into the computer, etc. So, I was no longer needed for any work at the census office.

I arranged to go in on Thursday evening after work to meet with the supervisor and turn in my badge, and complete any required paperwork to officially take me off the payroll. I showed up around 6 PM, and the only thing I had to do was hand over my badge to my supervisor. No paperwork of any sort. I said hello to a couple of other office workers who still had jobs and were there at that time. Then my supervisor had me fill out a time-sheet (you get paid for any activity that requires you to show up at the office, even if that is just to turn in your badge). Since the minimum increment of time for which one can be paid is a quarter hour, I filled out a time sheet for 6 to 6:15 PM and got it signed off by my supervisor. So, for the trouble of going in to turn in my badge and take myself off the census payroll, the census bureau was kind enough to pay a little over $3! So, my last day at the census bureau was not the 1st, but the 15th of July, two weeks later. But those were two weeks in which I had no census work, and so did not get paid at all. Obviously, I would not have been paid $3 if I had turned in my badge at the end of a regular shift on the 1st, so, the two-week delay turned out to be quite lucrative to me . . . Who am I kidding?!

Return to real-life from my vacation has been quite rough so far. I seem to be buried under mountains of laundry all the time. I am working over time at my regular job because of all the accumulated work there. Luckily, there was no time-zone change between where I live and Peru, so there was no jet-lag to contend with.

My kids have been busy after their return working on the jigsaw puzzle with renewed vigor. In my last update, I told you how I thought the puzzle was about 40 to 50% complete. Now, the interior of the puzzle is starting to fill out very nicely. Based on the pictures alongside, I would say the puzzle is probably close to 75% complete now. As expected, the puzzle gets easier to work on as more and more pieces are fit into their correct places, leaving fewer choices for other open spaces.

I am now half-way through my photographs from the trip, trying to organize them so that they make sense. I snapped up over 700 photographs during the trip, so I have to separate the wheat from the chaff, and figure out which few of those 700 should be published on my blog. I am hoping to get all this done in the next few days so that I can update my blog with something interesting starting middle to end of next week.

Hopefully, that is a realistic timetable since I don't have anything else to write about in the meantime. I haven't had any time to even think about, leave alone write about, Microsoft Access, Vedic Mathematics, etc. If the pace of my regular job slows down a little this week, I will get some breathing room to start thinking about such things. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best . . .!

No comments:

Visitors Country Map

Free counters!

Content From TheFreeDictionary.com

In the News

Article of the Day

This Day in History

Today's Birthday

Quote of the Day

Word of the Day

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!

 

Hangman

Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...
 
spell the word:

Search The Web