Search The Web

Today's Headlines

Friday, July 23, 2010

My Friend Thinks There Is Gold In Them Thar Sports!

I wrote a while back about a friend of mine who did well betting on the NCAA college basketball championship. Well, he is back at it, and this time, he wants to get me involved too!

I am a reasonably athletic person, and play a lot of different games. I play basketball, tennis, table tennis, volleyball, etc., but not at competitive levels. But I am not a big watcher of games or that much into reading about games in newspapers, etc. I don't follow any professional or college teams or sports personalities in pretty much any sports.

So, I told my friend that I appreciated his eagerness to help me, but I just wasn't cut out for it. I don't have the time to analyze past games, and come up with predictions about future games based on strengths and weaknesses of the teams and players. But my friend is convinced that sports betting doesn't require much analysis, and he has a system he is willing to share with me!

In particular, my friend is now into baseball betting, and he thinks he has it all down pat. Baseball being a very popular sport, it attracts a lot of betting. And anything that attracts a lot of betting also attracts a lot of emotional betters whose bets reflect more wishful thinking than the actual odds of a team winning. My friend has this theory that because of this phenomenon, the bookies are able to offer much better odds on the winning teams. So, he thinks that even if I pick winners only a few times, I can make back all my losses and more.

I must admit that I am not entirely convinced. But, I have come up with a scheme to take advantage of the sports betting trend without actually doing any hard work: I am thinking about giving my friend some money, and asking him to place bets on my behalf. No special work for me, just place bets with my money just as if it were his money. If and when he wins, he gives me a share of the winnings! No contracts, no legalese. Just among friends. And if he doesn't win, no problem either. I am only going to give him money that I can afford to lose.

If I lose all my money, no big deal. If I get my money back, excellent. And if I actually make some money, that is icing on the cake. I might actually have to start listening to my friend more! So, what do you think? Is this going to work? Or is this just a quick way to ruin a good friendship? Oh well, I will find out soon enough, I guess!

No comments:

Visitors Country Map

Free counters!

Content From TheFreeDictionary.com

In the News

Article of the Day

This Day in History

Today's Birthday

Quote of the Day

Word of the Day

Match Up
Match each word in the left column with its synonym on the right. When finished, click Answer to see the results. Good luck!

 

Hangman

Spelling Bee
difficulty level:
score: -
please wait...
 
spell the word:

Search The Web